Saturday, September 28, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Collecting Monster Toys by John Marshall (1999 Schiffer Books)



     I stopped by the home of Schiffer Publishing on my way from Providence, Rhode Island to Austin, Texas for the Fangoria Weekend of Horrors.   Pete Schiffer Jr. and I went down to the warehouse so I could pick up the case of my book Spooky Creepy Long Island that I had asked to pick up and take along with me to try my luck at selling a few copies over the table at the Fearwerx booth.   When we were heading towards the exit, I saw the cover of John Marshall’s Collecting Monster Toys.   I said "Cool!" and picked it up to thumb through it.   Pete said I could have it if I wanted it.
     The book was on top of a stack of books, which was one of several stacks on a palette which was walled off on three sides and about half full with chest high stacks of books.   Pete explained that Schiffer Publishing takes great pains to insure that the books shipped to their customers leave the warehouse in pristine condition.   If a book suffers any injury, any scratch, ding, or dent, it gets stacked on the palette that goes to the pulper to re-enter into the commodity stream as recycled paper pulp.
     Finding this out and being a bibliophile, I asked if I could rifle through the stacks to save some books from their untimely fate if I promised to review anything I took.   I ended up with about a dozen books.   Mostly from the regional paranormal or “ghost books” series.
     Collecting Monster Toys does not claim to be complete or comprehensive.   I appreciate it all the more for not claiming completeness.   Too often a book will claim comprehensiveness, and even amateur enthusiasts of the topic will soon realize significant omissions.   Although citing the deficiencies of “comprehensive” guidebooks is a guilty pleasure of most enthusiasts of all things horror it is a welcome respite to encounter a book which does not claim to be a complete guide to the topic it addresses.
     A problem that plagues many of the books that do claim comprehensiveness is that they soon become dated due to the static date of the book, and the passage of time after its publication.   I was surprised when I looked up the date of publication for the book to realize that it had been first published nine years ago.   The book has weathered well in the passage of time.
     Part of the durability of this title may lie in the style that the author chose to present his material.   Instead of using a chronological format, which would reveal the publication date of the book as the end of the world after which the world would seem suspiciously vacant, the author chose to break the book into sections of pictorial representations of a selection of items.   Although there are six chapters in the book, the book is loosely divided into Universal Monsters and Japanese Monsters.
     For those that don’t know what a Universal Monster is, a brief explanation.   Universal Studios produced a series of monster movies in the 1930s.   The first films of each of the franchises were so successful that the studio produced many sequels often using many of the same actors in the films although not always in the roles they originated.   The characters most often considered the essential core of the Universal Monsters are Dracula, Frankenstein, The Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, The Mummy, and The Creature from the Black Lagoon.   It is permissible to include The Phantom of the Opera, The Invisible Man, and the Metaluna Mutant from ‘This Island Earth’, but omission of the core six characters is considered a significant oversight.   This philosophy regarding the primacy of the major characters of the Universal Monster movies is reflected in the packaging and variety of merchandise available for the characters from those films.   The author also reinforces the primacy of these characters by grouping the memorabilia by character with several pages devoted to each, smoothly transitioning into the next.
     The author avoids the pitfall of presenting a stale and uninspired survey and price listing of the memorabilia which would reasonably be included in his chosen genre by infusing his introductions to each chapter and the brief notes accompanying the hundreds of beautiful color photos with humor and an ironic, but not sarcastic awareness of the oddity of collecting toys when childhood has long been left behind.   At the same time, the author avoids reaching too far to infuse humor, and successfully maintains the balance between recognizing the natural humor in toy collecting without seeming to pander to his audience.   The introductions are well-written and illustrate the author’s awareness of the histories of the characters without being too dry or exhaustively informational.
     Monster enthusiasts needn’t bother reading the infrequent pages of introduction to enjoy this book.   The primary attraction for your average enthusiast of monster movie inspired collectables is that this book is a perfect guidebook for a trip down memory lane, or spending an afternoon exploring the dark recesses of nostalgia national park.
     A strange change has come over me in the past few years.
     I used to be a collector.   I enjoyed the satisfaction which accompanies the acquisition of a complete set of any kind of limited set of collectables.   As I’ve grown older, this compulsion has metamorphosized into an appreciation of the existence of objects divorced from the previously accompanying desire to own them.
     This is why this book was so enjoyable for me personally.   I was able to see all of the rare Universal Monster memorabilia that I no longer desire for my personal ownership.   All of those rare and highly collectable Aurora models that it’s almost impossible to see together in one place.   The author has assembled a high-quality photographic archive of complete sets of these rare collectables.   So although I will never own a full set of the Universal Monster Aurora model kits, I can vicariously enjoy their existence any time I want to by leisurely flipping through this book.
     But it’s not just the rare collectibles that I will most likely never see in real life that attract me to the contents of this book.   There are many toys and collectables that I used to own, but have been lost to the carelessness of youth or the generosity of my nature.   Seeing these objects again rekindled long forgotten memories from my youth.
     When I was five years old I had the chicken pox.   I was quarantined for a week with two other young boys.   We spent the week in our bathing suits and there was a child’s wading pool set up in the kitchen that we spent most of the week in when we weren’t taking baths or having calamine lotion liberally dabbed onto the little red bumps dotting our skin.   They didn’t want us to scratch and scab and scar, you see.   So they fooled us into staying moist by making that week into an indoor pool party.   It might have been my birthday, but I can’t remember, it might have been conciliatory gift-time to console us young prisoners.   I was given a colorform set as a gift.   I thought I imagined that colorform set, because it disappeared from my life when I was still too young to remember where things disappeared to and I never saw it again.   There it was.   Pages 129 through 131.   The ‘Space Warriors Colorforms Adventure Set’.   The feeling of nostalgia it awoke was intense.   It’s unlikely that I would be able to share that feeling with anyone else, but that was part of the attraction of the emotion.
     The only way I’m able to share that feeling is by sharing the book, which I did inadvertently while at the Fangoria Weekend of Horrors.   A small group of late night revelers ended up at my hotel room and when they saw the book on the coffee table each person in turn flipped through it.   Everyone recognized something special from their childhood.   Each person recognized something different, but they all said the same thing, “Holy shit!   I used to have that!”.   If this review was compressed into one line, that would have to be the one.   Because that’s what everyone says when they flip through this beautiful little book.
     It was nice to see the Universal Monsters Little Big Heads figurines, because for some reason they are the only full set of collectables I’ve kept.   And I admit I felt a twinge of the guilty pleasure I mentioned earlier in this review, when I noticed that the second series of the Little Big Heads, the black & white set, which I own in its entirety, was nowhere to be found in the book.   And I also admit that I felt a small surge of the collector’s infatuation when I saw the Remco Mini-Monsters collection, complete and carded and accompanied by the ‘Mini Monster Play Case’.   But I know that if I were to go to all the trouble of acquiring the object of my desire it would be exciting for about a day and then end up packed away, neglected, in some sort of storage.
     But thankfully John Marshall has saved me the pain of experiencing the buyer’s remorse which inevitably accompanies the acquisition of something long sought after.   Instead I can flip through this book anytime I want and vicariously enjoy the satisfaction of ownership.

This book, as well as many other books about toys and collectibles is available from Schiffer Books.
www.schifferbooks.com

About the Reviewer:
Scott Lefebvre can write about whatever you want him to write about.
Mostly because when he was grounded for his outlandish behavior as a hyperactive school child, the only place he was allowed to go was the public library.
His literary tastes were forged by the works of Helen Hoke, Alvin Schwartz and Stephen Gammell, Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, Stephen King, Clive Barker, Edgar Allan Poe, and H. P. Lovecraft.
He is the author of Spooky Creepy Long Island, and a contributing author to Forrest J. Ackerman’s Anthology of the Living Dead, Fracas: A Collection of Short Friction, The Call of Lovecraft, and Cashiers du Cinemart.
He is currently working on ten novel-length book projects which will be released in 2014.
He also publishes themed collections of interviews from his interview blog You Are Entitled To My Opinion.
His reviews have been published by a variety of in print and online media including Scars Magazine, Icons of Fright, Fatally Yours and Screams of Terror, and he has appeared in Fangoria, Rue Morgue and HorrorHound Magazine.
He is the Assistant Program Director for The Arkham Film Society and produces electronic music under the names Master Control and LOVECRAFTWORK.
He is currently working on a novel-length expansion of a short-story titled, "The End Of The World Is Nigh", a crowd-funded, crowd-sourced, post-apocalyptic, zombie epidemic project.
Check out the blog for the book here: theendoftheworldisnighbook.blogspot.com
Check out the Facebook Fan Page for the project here: www.facebook.com/TheEndOfTheWorldIsNighBook
Check his author profile at: www.amazon.com/Scott-Lefebvre/e/B001TQ2W9G
Follow him at GoodReads here:
www.goodreads.com/author/show/1617246.Scott_Lefebvre
Check out his publishing imprint Burnt Offerings Books here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Burnt-Offerings-Books/1408858196016246
And here: http://burntofferingsbooks.blogspot.com/
Check out his electronic music here: soundcloud.com/master_control
And here: master-control.bandcamp.com
Check out his videos at: www.youtube.com/user/doctornapoleon
Check out his IMDB profile here: www.imdb.com/name/nm3678959
Follow his Twitter here: twitter.com/TheLefebvre or @TheLefebvre
Follow his Tumblr here: thelefebvre.tumblr.com
Check out his Etsy here: www.etsy.com/shop/ScottLefebvreArt
Join the group for The Arkham Film Society here:
www.facebook.com/groups/arkhamscreenings
Stalk his Facebook at: www.facebook.com/TheLefebvre
E-mail him at: Scott_Lefebvre@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment