Saturday, September 28, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Raw Dog Screaming Press: Last Burn in Hell: Director’s Cut (2006) by John Edward Lawson & Vacation (2007) by Jeremy C. Shipp.


     Horrorfind 7 in August of 2007.
     I managed to get a gig selling t-shirts for Fearwerx.   I spent most of the weekend behind the table selling shirts hand over fist.   I brought two of my best friends along to help work the table in exchange for a little bit of money and a free trip to the convention.   My friends offered to relieve me any time I wanted to walk around the con and see the sights, but since this was my first gig for Fearwerx and I’d been to about a dozen conventions I felt a commitment to giving my best effort for Fearwerx who paid for my presence at the show.
     The man behind Fearwerx asked that I take a walk around the vendor room and take some pictures.   Pictures of the Fearwerx booth so he could see how we set the booth up with the s.u.v. full of components he sent us out with.   Pictures of the other t-shirt booths to see how our booth looked in comparison and to get an idea of the designs that everyone else was selling.   And pictures of the traffic in the vendor room, so he could determine whether or not to pay for the privilege of attending the next Horrorfind.   The profit to cost ratio is a useful indicator which influences the decision of whether or not to return to a convention, but it doesn’t give a real sense of what attending and working the convention is like.
     While I was doing my walk through, the Raw Dog Screaming Press table caught my eye.   The books were set up in a rack, displaying the cover designs of the books the table was offering.   The covers were well-designed, and since they stopped me in my tracks for a moment, the man behind the table did his duty as a vendor and struck up a conversation with me.   The man behind the table was John Edward Lawson, an author and editor and Editor-in-chief of Raw Dog Screaming Press.
     At most of the conventions I had attended I made it a point to stop by any tables manned by authors or publishers.   I review books for a few media sources and stopping by a booth is a great way to get new books for review.   The positive side of this is that it makes authors and publishers aware of the magazines and websites that publish my reviews, and when the reviews are published, it provides free advertisement for, and raises public awareness of, the authors and publishers that provide their books for review.  The negative side is that since I get so many complimentary books for review I’m unlikely to pay for a book unless it’s something that I already know and love, so a conversation with me results in an immediate loss to the authors or publishers in exchange for advertisement which will hopefully lead to a long-term gain.
     Allow me to state that my intention in conversing with John Edward Lawson was not to acquire books for review.   I had come to the convention to sell shirts and have a good time and I had turned the book reviewer switch off.   But old habits die hard.
     The conversation started innocuously enough.   I told John that I was impressed with the cover design of the Raw Dog Screaming Press books.   From my side of the conversation I mentioned that I review books for a few media sources.   This led us into a conversation about horror genre books and authors and publishing.   I said that I wasn’t very impressed with your average black-bound horror paperback which populates the horror section of most of the major bookstores.   They read like horror-themed Harlequin novels.   The horror genre equivalent of bodice-rippers.   So few of them are really scary or horrifying or manage to raise the small hairs on the back of my neck.
     The conversation of course diverged into the requisite name-dropping.   Stephen King and Clive Barker.   Edgar Allan Poe and H. P. Lovecraft.   Then with the big names out of the way, I expressed my enthusiasm for Richard Matheson and how I thought that Jack Ketchum was a promising author who rises above the expectations for the black-bound paperback publishers.   Finally I was closing by saying that I thought that the two best horror novels I had read were by authors who were primarily non-horror authors.   Chuck Plahniuk’s ‘Haunted’ and Bret Easton Ellis’s ‘Lunar Park’.   I wasn’t trying to solicit books for review, but the mention of the last two authors kindled a gleam in John’s eyes.   He said he had two books that he wanted me to have.   ‘Vacation’ by Jeremy C. Shipp and ‘Last Burn in Hell: Director’s Cut’ by John Edward Lawson, which he opened up and signed for me.
     This is the end of the story of how I sometimes accidentally get books for review.
     Now let’s roll on to the reviews.

     I read ‘Vacation’ first because it was the smaller of the two, but I’m going to review ‘Last Burn In Hell’ first, because although I enjoyed both books for different reasons, I found ‘Last Burn in Hell’ the more enjoyable of the two.]

     ‘Last Burn in Hell’ is an exceptional creature as far as books go.   The format seems to have been crafted in the style of a novelization of a film.   This device seemed a bit superfluous and did little to add to or detract from the impact of the book.   The book’s protagonist is a prison guard.   But he’s not a prison guard.   He’s more of a whore.   He “services” women that are on death row, as a special consideration.   Kind of like a last lay to follow-up their last meal.   But he’s just doing a service.   Except when the execution of a particular woman keeps getting postponed.   He gets personally involved and decides to devise a plan so that she can avoid execution and they can live happily ever after.   As interesting as the book was setting up the initial scenario, things get a lot more interesting while they’re on the run.   Identity and sexuality blur and the inter-group alliances and dynamics become unhinged.   Mexican gangs and federal agencies and a Latin Madonna play pivotal roles in this story.   One thing that is certain, his mother is not quite right, and the protagonist is one of a pair of triplets who may or may not be the result of an alien abduction.   I’d like to say “you get the idea”, but I’m fairly certain you don’t, and reading is believing, so you should.   Both of the books I was given mention William Burroughs in the back-cover blurbs.   I don’t think Burroughs is quite the right comparison.   Rather, I think that Burroughs serves as a common cultural touchstone which serves to give potential readers a sense of the tone of the book within.   Lawson reads more like Palahniuk.   Some times comparing one author to another is for classification not for accolades.   If I read another blurb touting an author as “the next Stephen King” I just don’t know what I’m going to do.   Wait.  I know what I’m not going to do.   I’m not going to read their book.   Because all of King’s potential heirs fall short of the high water mark set by the King.   Lawson is an exception to the business of comparison in that his voice is a worthwhile addition to the chorus of authors following the trend most prominently presented in Palahniuk’s body of work.   An earnest, but wry honesty in writing, exploring the paradoxes of our contemporary American society.   In ten years, these books may seem dated, with their pop-cultural references and their reaction to the disillusioned sardonicism of our generation, but I’d rather read something contemporary than another book which safely stays within the prescribed boundaries of the black-bound horror-genre novel.

     The other book I was given from Raw Dog Screaming Press was ‘Vacation’ by Jeremy C. Shipp.   The plot for vacation is difficult to discuss.   It begins as a post-modern tale of a privileged member of the higher echelon of academic society.   Inside, he feels that he does not deserve his rank and privilege, and his discontent inspires him to take a ‘Vacation’.   This is not a vacation in the traditional sense.   In this post-modern world, ‘Vacation’ is a governmentally regulated program that grants every citizen a one-year trip around the world to exotic locales for exciting adventures.   This would have been an interesting premise to explore, but the author takes the tale in a surreal direction.   This is where the Burroughsian comparison is apt.   The protagonist finds himself abducted and entangled in a factional dispute, the guidelines of which are unclear and ever-changing.   The setting for this dispute is the tropical area outside of the area prescribed and protected for the ‘vacationers’.   The relationships between the characters become a bit to Jungian archetypal for my liking, with the formation and disruption of pseudo-familial relationships.   The premise through its many permutations stays fresh and disorienting, crossing back and forth between the permeable boundaries between the conscious and the unconscious thus becomes another discourse on phenomenology.   This flexibility and changeability accompanied by the tropical setting may be what conjured the comparisons to the work of William S. Burroughs, but Burroughs might still be the cultural touchstone that reviewers select when reviewing books that explore post-modernity in this style.   Perhaps a closer comparison would be to Paul Auster in his book ‘City of Glass’ which is another book that explores the themes of uncertainty and alienation, which are also fundamental concepts for existentialism and existentialists, whose work ‘Vacation’ is a welcome addition to.   Readers looking for light horror genre reading may be disappointed at the effort and attention required to explore this brief, yet dense book, but those who accept the challenge will be rewarded with an engrossing ‘vacation’ into the world of post-modern, phenomenological, existential, but nonetheless truly enjoyable fiction.

More Online:
www.johnlawson.org
Jeremy Shipp on Facebook: www.facebook.com/jeremycshipp

No comments:

Post a Comment